Re: replacement for ide-generic in Wheezy?

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 12:06:23PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 08/08/13 06:28 AM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> >Hello Gary,
> >
> >On 08/08/13 11:39, Gary Dale wrote:
> >>The various ide modules (ide-generic, ide-cdrom, etc.) seem to be missing in the Wheezy kernel. However they still compile a 486 kernel so I'm assuming there is some intent to continue to support older hardware.
> >>
> >>In my case, I have an old laptop that I could run Squeeze on by including ide-generic in the /etc/initramfstool/modules file. However the same thing doesn't work in Wheezy because there is no ide-generic module.
> >>
> >>Googling around, I found one post that suggested it's been superseded by libata but I can't find that either.
> >>
> >>Is 486-era hardware still supported in the newer kernels or is this a lost cause?
> >>

> >I guess that it is still supported by the kernel, but not by the kernel deb package as distributed by debian.
> >You may build your own kernel, and the following link is a good place to start:
> >
> >http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org
> >
> >hth,
> >Jerome
>
> Thanks. This would be a truly bizarre situation - creating a 486
> kernel package for people but omitting the basic hardware drivers
> for hardware of the that vintage.
>
> The basic difference between the 486 and 686 kernels is support for
> PAE. Pentium processors lack PAE but would generally need the IDE
> drivers.
>
> In my case, I'm talking about Pentium-MMX @ 200MHz, which is far
> less powerful than a Raspberry Pi but still useful. However the
> CD-ROM and disk drives of that time need IDE drivers.
>
> It wasn't long after that PAE was added (in the Pentium Pro and
> later). Why would anyone make a 486 kernel and not include the
> drivers? I could understand, but not agree with, dropping 486
> support as some distros have done. But to simply not compile the
> drivers seems silly.

Newer kernels, as you've mentioned, use libata to interface with
Parallel ATA devices (which is what most 486-era drives are). AIUI, this
is a new set of code that works both with SATA and PATA drives. Common
code means more people use it, less bit-rot etc. If does, however, come
with the side effect that /dev/hd* is now /dev/sd* (even if it's not a
SCSI disk. I suspect the initial S is now meaningless).

If you need to access a drive that's pre-IDE (so MFM, RLL etc), then
yes, you'll need the old code.

However, the chances are very likely that CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC (aka
ata_generic.ko) is the successor you want.