replacement for ide-generic in Wheezy?

The various ide modules (ide-generic, ide-cdrom, etc.) seem to be missing in the Wheezy kernel. However they still compile a 486 kernel so I'm assuming there is some intent to continue to support older hardware.

In my case, I have an old laptop that I could run Squeeze on by including ide-generic in the /etc/initramfstool/modules file. However the same thing doesn't work in Wheezy because there is no ide-generic module.

Googling around, I found one post that suggested it's been superseded by libata but I can't find that either.

Is 486-era hardware still supported in the newer kernels or is this a lost cause?