Re: wheezy upgrade -> no sound

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 05:36:19PM +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 07/08/13 16:14, Richard Hector wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > This might be a common topic, but I haven't found much of use so far.
> >
> > I've just upgraded from squeeze to wheezy, and lost sound - except for
> > some popping noises from my (cheap) speakers. It's possible that my
> > speakers have coincidentally died; I'll have a look for some alternative
> > hardware I can test with - but it would be a significant coincidence.
>
> Got new speakers - no go. Installed pavucontrol as per
> https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/faq/pulse-debug - I can hear clicks
> when I enable/disable the device (speaker with x symbol), and when I use
> paplay to play a file, the VU meter is active but I still can't hear
> anything.

The clicks are probably the device being initialised. That's a good
thing.

> Interestingly, when I use aplay to play a file, I also get the VU meter
> active and can't hear anything.

Excellent, so alsa is routing stuff through pulse.

> If pulseaudio is configured to play via alsa (which it appears to be),
> then the former is reasonable - but the latter isn't? If alsa also plays
> via pulseaudio, is that my problem? I have a loop?

No, probably not. The usual configuration is that the alsa "default"
device sends sounds into pulseaudio. This means that applications that
only know how to talk alsa AND applications that know how to talk pulse
get mixed together (pulseaudio is, when you come down to it, just a
fancy mixer). The output of pulseaudio then goes to a different alsa
device which is connected to your hardware.

> Or have I misunderstood it? I can't figure out where the config is for
> either alsa or pa, so that wouldn't be surprising ...

First of all, check the volume levels; alsamixer should give you at
least two different sound cards (press F6, I think, to choose between
them). One is your hardware card, the other is pulseaudio. Make sure
BOTH have sufficient volume and are unmuted.