Re: wheezy upgrade -> no sound

On 07/08/13 16:14, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This might be a common topic, but I haven't found much of use so far.
>
> I've just upgraded from squeeze to wheezy, and lost sound - except for
> some popping noises from my (cheap) speakers. It's possible that my
> speakers have coincidentally died; I'll have a look for some alternative
> hardware I can test with - but it would be a significant coincidence.

Got new speakers - no go. Installed pavucontrol as per
https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/faq/pulse-debug - I can hear clicks
when I enable/disable the device (speaker with x symbol), and when I use
paplay to play a file, the VU meter is active but I still can't hear
anything.

Interestingly, when I use aplay to play a file, I also get the VU meter
active and can't hear anything.

If pulseaudio is configured to play via alsa (which it appears to be),
then the former is reasonable - but the latter isn't? If alsa also plays
via pulseaudio, is that my problem? I have a loop?

Or have I misunderstood it? I can't figure out where the config is for
either alsa or pa, so that wouldn't be surprising ...

Richard