Re: Deleting chromium DNS cache entry doesn't seem to help.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 06:45:26 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 04:43:07PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> It's been most of a week now, and the problem persists.
>> Chromium still insists on going to the website normally known as
>> topoi.pooq.com when I request slashdot.org.
>>
>> Neither iceweasel nor chrome do this; both find the proper
>> slashdot.org.
>>
>> Even ping finds the proper site.
>>
>> The problem presumably started a week ago when there was a temporary
>> networking problem, but only chromium seems to have fixated on the
>> wrong IP address.
>>
>> I have followed the procedure for clearing chromium's dns cache.  When
>> I look at the cache contents, slashdot isn't in it.  Does chromium have
>> another, secret cache?
>>
>> And it appears that I do not have nscd running, or even installed.
>>
>> I'm starting to think of shuttering chromium forever, assuming I can
>> copy its bookmarks elsewhere, say, to chrome.
>>

> ---end quoted text---
>
> Why would you need to copy your bookmarks? Presumably you used bookmark
> sync with Chromium, thus they will be available to Google-Chrome when
> you login into your Google account the 1st time in Chrome.

I'm using both Chromium and Chrome.  It's not entirely clear to me that
sync will merge the two sets of bookmarks instead of having one set
clobber the other.

> Have you tried using a different DNS server? Try the Google DNS servers,
> Google will give you their address -- I don't have them handy at the
> moment.

I am already using the Google DNS servers.  The DHCP server on my LAN
tells all my machines to use Google's DNS servers.

Every other program on my laptop finds the right IP number for slashdot.
It's just Chromium that doesn't.  Even Chrome gets it right.  Somewhere
Chromium has hidden state I can't expunge.

And if the secret bit of state I can't expunge ends up getting synced
along with the bookmarks, things may get worse instead of better.

-- hendrik.