Re: Sid google-earth-stable dependency problems

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:14:45PM +0200, sp113438 wrote:
> On my Sid system it is not possible to install google-earth.
>
> I tried to install the downloaded program from Googles site:
>
> Selecting previously unselected package google-earth-stable.
> (Reading database ... 165240 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking google-earth-stable
> (from .../google-earth-stable_current_amd64(1).deb) ... dpkg:
> dependency problems prevent configuration of google-earth-stable:
> google-earth-stable depends on lsb-core (>= 3.2); however: Package
> lsb-core is not installed. google-earth-stable depends on ia32-libs;
> however: Package ia32-libs is not installed.
>
> dpkg: error processing google-earth-stable (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for mime-support ...
>  google-earth-stable

This is fairly normal behaviour. dpkg won't, by itself, download and
install dependencies. That job is left to the higher-level tools such as
apt-get and aptitude.

You can either fetch and install those dependencies yourself (lsb-core
and ia32-libs. It is probably safest to install all three at the same
time and let dpkg work out the ordering: dpkg -i lsb-core*.deb
ia32-libs*.deb google-earth-stable*.deb) or you can use a command such
as "apt-get -f install" to fix things up. After a "dpkg -i", you would
have google-earth-stable in a "half-installed" state. apt-get should be
able to spot that this can be fixed by installing its dependencies.
Sometimes, though, apt-get will suggest that the way to fix things is to
remove the package you just installed - that probably means the
dependecies can't be satisfied.

> I also build a deb from  make-googleearth-package with following result:
>
> Unpacking googleearth
> (from .../googleearth_6.0.3.2197+0.7.0-1_amd64.deb) ... dpkg:
> dependency problems prevent configuration of googleearth: googleearth
> depends on libfreeimage3; however: Package libfreeimage3 is not
> installed. googleearth depends on lsb-core; however:
>   Package lsb-core is not installed.
>  googleearth depends on ia32-libs-gtk; however:
>   Package ia32-libs-gtk is not installed.
>
> dpkg: error processing googleearth (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Processing triggers for mime-support ...
> Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
> Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
> Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
>  googleearth

This is the same issue. It's not saying that the dependencies CAN'T be
installed, only that they AREN'T at the moment. It didn't try to install
them.