Re: root.root and netdev group for /dev/net/tun ?

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:28:09 -0400 (EDT), Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> Is there a reason why the default ownership of /dev/net/tun is root.root?
> I'm on sid. Don't know if it's anything I did, pretty sure not.
>
> As in, is there a reason that /dev/net/tun is not owned root.netdev?

The attributes of /dev/net/tun are controlled by the file

   /lib/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules

which is part of the udev package.  Search for the character string "tun"
in this file.  You will find a line which looks like this:

   KERNEL=="tun",                  MODE="0666",    OPTIONS+="static_node=net/tun"

If you want to change the group to netdev, change the above to

   KERNEL=="tun", GROUP="netdev"   MODE="0666",    OPTIONS+="static_node=net/tun"

You might also want to change the mode settings, so that only root and members
of the netdev group can access the /dev/net/tun device.  For example,

   KERNEL=="tun", GROUP="netdev"   MODE="0660",    OPTIONS+="static_node=net/tun"

As for why it is the way it is, you might want to ask the package maintainer for
the udev package that question.  Of course, if the udev package is ever serviced,
you may need to re-make your changes.  The change does not take effect until the
next reboot, of course.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :