Re: Does Network install from a minimal CD really not support PPPoE?

On Sun 14 Jul 2013 at 19:07:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 13:54 +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 14 Jul 2013 at 12:32:13 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > In your subject line you have 'a minimal CD'.
> > >
> > > http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/#netinst-stable
> >
> > Now you are talking about the netinst ISO.
>
> "Network install from a minimal CD" is a quote from
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/#netinst-stable it's the headline!

So it is! I'd forgotten about that. I'm going to have to change my
thinking about the netboot mini.iso to something like 'super-minimal',
'micro-minimal' or 'tiny'. :)

> So there might be terms Debian gurus might use, that don't fit to the
> Debian website.

I wouldn't know what gurus use; I tend to think in terms of ISOs, not
CDs.

> > But how about trying it in expert mode . . .
>
> I want the information, before I download it, IOW I can't try it,
> because I didn't download it. If it's available I'll download it, if
> not, I would download another Debian media.

Five minutes to download. A minute or so to write to a USB stick. A few
seconds to boot. But ok, my second suggestion (reading) still stands:

   To have the option of setting up and using PPPoE during the
   installation, you will need to install using one of the CD-ROM/DVD
   images that are available. It is not supported for other installation
   methods (e.g. netboot).

That's from

   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds05.html.en

Footnote [29] will interest you too.

(CD-ROM is the same as CD. CD's have minimal and full versions).