Re: Backup/Restore software?

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 08:14 -0700, David Guntner wrote:
> "mypackagelist"

I prefer to backup the working system as it is. To backup data and to
restore software that is available by packages by repositories instead
of restoring it from a backup easily could lead to issues. Perhaps there
are reasons to hold outdated packages or what ever.

I guess the policy for doing a backup depends to the needs. I for
example need a machine that should be able to do _hard_ real-time, so I
even backup directories that indeed don't need to be backuped, e.g. lost
+found ... it's better to include unneeded stuff to a backup, even if
it's completely nuts, than to miss some full moon voodoo file, that is
needed.

So IMO the "mypackagelist" approach is dangerous, depending to the
user's needs.

I'm from the stone ages, a 65xx assembler command like "no operation"
could be an important part to sync something, since "no operation" is an
operation, that has got it's cycles too.

Sure, to backup a lost+found directory is nuts, but it's better to do
something nuts, than to miss something. Were is the borderline for stuff
that's needed and stuff that isn't needed? If we backup a complete Linux
as it is, we could restore a completely equal Linux.

2 Cents,
Ralf