local (old) sid repo - manually updating Release date ?

I am on a high-latency, low-bandwidth, rural connection, and maintain
a few debian PCs, so I run a local debian repo mirror which I update
at a friend's every now and then.

My sources.list contains only:
deb file:///public/debian/debian sid main

Now, both of these:
apt-get update
apt-get --allow-unauthenticated update

result in:
---------------
Ign file: sid InRelease
Get:1 file: sid Release.gpg [1,571 B]
Get:2 file: sid Release [203 kB]
E: Release file for file:///public/debian/debian/dists/sid/Release is
expired (invalid since 29d 11h 43min 57s). Updates for this repository
will not be applied.
---------------

The file /public/debian/debian/dists/sid/Release contains at line 6
Valid-Until: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 02:42:22 UTC

which corresponds to my last debmirror update.

So in the past as a workaround, I update line 6 of Release file to read, eg:
Valid-Until: Thu, 13 Jun 2014 02:42:22 UTC

which in the past worked for me, but
which now causes a signature failure - both the above apt-get update
commands still fail, this time with the following error:
---------------
Ign file: sid InRelease
Get:1 file: sid Release.gpg [1,571 B]
Get:2 file: sid Release [203 kB]
Err file: sid Release

Reading package lists... Done
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
file: sid Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG
AED4B06F473041FA Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (6.0/squeeze)
<ftpmaster@debian.org>

W: Failed to fetch file:/public/debian/debian/dists/sid/Release

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
--------

Anyone know what's changed, that is stopping me from temporarily
ignoring the out of date Release file in my local repo, and/ or how to
get around this problem, since my previous workaround no longer works?

Very much looking forward to a fix that does _not_ involve changing my
system date!

TIA
zenaan