Re: Installing Mate

"Ethan Rosenberg, PhD" <erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com> writes:

> Dear List -
>
> With the new Gnome desktop, I am up against a brick wall.  For some
> reason I cannot get apt-get to work. I have also tried the irc
> channel, with no results.
>
> I have read the Wiki, followed it with no luck.
>
> This is the output from apt-get:
>
> root@meow:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# dpkg --configure -a
> root@meow:/etc/apt/sources.list.d#  apt-get update && apt-get
> autoclean && apt-get -f dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove
> E: Type 'apt-get' is not known on line 1 in source list
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mate.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.

Something is wrong with the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mate.list.
>From the error message, it appears as if the first line contains
'apt-get' someplace; my guess is it's probably the first thing on the
line.  It shouldn't be; the line should start with either 'deb' or
'deb-src' (unless it's a comment).  As an example, here's a line from my
sources.list:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free