Re: Installing Mate

On 11/07/13 06:17 PM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
Dear List -

With the new Gnome desktop, I am up against a brick wall. For some
reason I cannot get apt-get to work. I have also tried the irc channel,
with no results.

I have read the Wiki, followed it with no luck.

This is the output from apt-get:

root@meow:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# dpkg --configure -a
root@meow:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# apt-get update && apt-get
autoclean && apt-get -f dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove
E: Type 'apt-get' is not known on line 1 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mate.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

TIA

Ethan

I don't know what you have in mate.list so I can't see why it is breaking. I note that http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download suggests adding a repository line to sources.list that depends on the version of Debian you are running.

Also, I don't see you actually installing Mate. Again, the wiki article gives you the exact sequence of commands.

Here's the Debian section of the Wiki. Read the comments. You just need to do the apt-get update after adding a Mate repository then do a single apt-get install <something>, although adding the keyring will prevent security messages:

Debian Wheezy

Add one of the following repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

# main repository
deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/debian wheezy main

# mirrors
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/debian wheezy main
deb http://mirror1.mate-desktop.org/debian wheezy main

Debian Jessie

Add one of the following repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

# main repository
deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/debian jessie main

# mirrors
deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/debian jessie main
deb http://mirror1.mate-desktop.org/debian jessie main

Install MATE

To install MATE:

apt-get update
apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
apt-get update
# Now to install MATE choose 1 of the 3 apt-get lines below.
# this installs the base packages
apt-get install mate-core
# or this to install mate-core and more extras
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
#or this to install mate-core + mate-desktop-environment and even more extras.
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extra