Re: Cron issues - apticron

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:47:39AM -0700, Daniel Jochims wrote:
> I've uninstalled apticron but checking my syslog im still getting:
>
> CRON[16705]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/apticron && /usr/sbin/apticron --cron)

Sounds like you've removed but not purged apticron ("dpkg -l apticron"
shows rc). In this case, you still have the configuration files
(because, you may have modified them, may want to re-install with those
settings again later etc). As you can see from the line above, the first
thing the cronjob does is test if /usr/sbin/apticron is executable. In
your case, it won't be (because you removed it) so the cronjob exits.
This is perfectly normal.

> If i nano into /etc/crontab and find the command thats its issuing it and remove it, i get bombarded with a bunch of other errors. Any ideas?

Without knowing what the errors are, it might be that you've left a
syntax error in the crontab. Either try purging the package (and let the
maintainer script remove the cronjob for you) or let us know the errors.