iptables

I have a rather old configuration that worked on older debain setup for servers and desktops.
in /etc/network/if-pre.up.d I have a file that contains something like
/sbin/iptables-restore < /etc/iptables-up

however...
$ iptables -L -n
...does not gives the output as expected
on the other hand, if I flush the iptables and restore them ...
$ iptables -F
$ iptables-restore /etc/iptables-up
$ iptables  -L -n
...I get the correct output

the output before flush &restore is rather long, and it seems that my setup is overwritten by another firewall setup. perhaps there is a default firewall installed in debian now. am I right?

is there a way to load my iptables-up *after* this default firewall?