Re: How to disable UTC time?

Yuwen Dai <yuwend@gmail.com> writes:

>> I realize this is the sort of answer that annoys me to death when I get
>> it...  but why not fix the time on your BIOS clock?
>
> I did.  As I mentioned in the previous email, I set the BIOS clock as
> UTC time and set my time zone as UTC+8, this works.  My machine also
> has Windows, after I boot into Windows, I found the BIOS clock was
> modified by Windows that set the clock time as local time, i.e. UTC+8,
> after that  I boot into Linux, Linux thinks the BIOS clock is till
> UTC, it add 8 hours again to get the local time,  so my clock is 8
> hours ahead.   To get rid of the interference of Windows, I need to
> disable UTC.

Ah, the problem is that Windows is messing with your BIOS.  I boot my
laptop into Windows so rarely that just letting the NTP servers change
the time works (so it's a couple of seconds after I go to Windows that I
see local time correctly; likewise, it's a couple of seconds after I go
to Linux before my time is shown correctly).  Presumably you've got ntp
installed?

That said, it's supposed to be possible to fix Windows (all versions
since an early update to XP) to use UTC in the BIOS.  Here's a link to a
page giving instructions; like I said, I haven't bothered so this is
untested:

http://kb.norsetech.net/set-windows-clock-to-utc-time/
--
"Erwin, have you seen the cat?" -- Mrs. Shroedinger