Re: How do you manage encrypted mail?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Richard Lawrence wrote:
> > Good to know, thanks.  When I try this, Mutt asks me to enter my GPG
> > passphrase for every encrypted message in the folder I'm limiting,
> > though!  (So it's not a good option for my "sent" folder, for example.)
> > Any way to avoid that?
>
> Yes, use a gpg agent. Installing gnupg-agent and logging out and back in
> will probably do.

Thanks!  Alas, it didn't turn out to be quite this simple.  I had to
invoke gpg-agent from my .bash_profile:

# start gpg-agent on login
gpg-agent --daemon --write-env-file "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info"

And add the following to my .bashrc:

# gpg-agent is started in .bash_profile; this config should be read for
# every new shell
if [ -f "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info" ]; then
         . "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info"
         export GPG_AGENT_INFO
# don't need this unless using gpg-agent as ssh-agent
#         export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
fi

export GPG_TTY=$(tty)

But now gpg-agent seems to be up, and accessible from mutt.

Thanks everyone for your help in this thread!

Best,
Richard