Re: How do you manage encrypted mail?

Richard Lawrence wrote:
> I've recently (re-)decided to make an effort to use PGP, and to convince
> others to use it too. (My effort to do so:
> http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rwl/encryption.html, linked from my
> .signature.  Comments welcome.) But I've run into a couple of problems
> fairly quickly. If you use PGP regularly, how do you solve them?
>
> 1) Reading encrypted mail that I sent. If I need to remind myself what I
> said to someone, or recover an attachment, etc., I can't, because the
> only copy of my message is encrypted with the recipient's public key. I
> could work around this by Bcc'ing myself on every message, but that
> would have the mildly annoying effect of duplicating all my outgoing
> messages; every time I were to look for a message I sent to Mr. X, I'd
> get two results, and I'd have to figure out which one was encrypted with
> my key to read it.

Typically, gpg is configured to encrypt mail to multiple recipients,
which includes everyone the mail is sent to, as well as the sender.

For example, I have in my gpg.conf:

# Encrypt stuff to my key too.
encrypt-to 2512E3C7

> 2) Search. The more serious issue is that I can't search encrypted
> email, whether I sent it or received it. It is conceivably possible to
> search mail encrypted with my public key by decrypting it before running
> the search (though not encrypted mail that I sent, pending a good
> solution to problem 1). However, that seems like it would be extremely
> slow in practice, and I am not aware of any software that would make
> this simple or practical.

Mutt will use gpg to decrypt encrypted mail when searching in the body
(ie, when limiting to ~bsomething). It can get slow, indeed. I rarely
find the need to search in bodies of mail after it's a month old, and
use mairix to index and search subject and other headers, which are not
encrypted. Then if necessary I can load the resulting mbox full of
search results into mutt and do a body search to further refine it down
to what I was looking for.

--
see shy jo