Re: ec2 image not starting after dist-upgrade

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM, alberto fuentes <pajaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is the key -->"ERROR Invalid kernel:
> xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel: unknown compression format". I read
> somewhere about grub having problems with xz images, but not sure how
> to fix it.
>
> So far I tried to change /etc/default/grub from GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to 2
> and run grub-update with the disk attached to another instance, to try
> to boot and older working kernel, but now the instance start and stops
> without showing any errors

Just for the record for those that come after me. After some digging
yes, kernel changed from gz to xz at some point between 3.2 and 3.9

Ec2 run in some xen version that have problems with xz kernels. I just
changed GRUB_DEFAULT=2 to 1. This time I checked that was an actual
entry of some old kernel 3.2 in /boot/grub/menu.lst instead of
guessing the entry. And it worked...

Watch out for, i guess, old xen hypervisor, or ec2 when upgrading your
debian virtual boxes!

cheers!