Re: bc is not in linux-source debs.Recommended, neither in Documentation/Changes

Regid Ichira wrote:
>   I didn't get response for a similar post on
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2013/06/msg01262.html.  Is it
> because the answers are too obvious?

Probably because debian-kernel is overwhelmed with the daily grind of
urgent bug reports.  What you are asking about is off in the
hinterland regions of the borderlands.

>   bc, an arbitrary precision calculator language, is a kernel build
> dependency since a long time ago.  Should it be added to:
>
>     1. The Recommends field of linux-source-(version) debs.
>     2. Compilation section of kernel-source:Documentation/Changes.
>
> ?

Probably yes.  But since bc is priority standard it will exist on all
Debian machines unless the admin intentionally removed it.  For
example all of the project build machines building kernels would have
it.  And we don't try to protect people from themselves.  You are
allowed to break yourself.  So if you remove it that is okay.  Also it
has apparently been like this for a long time.  So while I think you
have uncovered a hole it is isn't an urgent one to patch.

Bob