Re: kernel not upgraded to wheezy

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
On 01 Jul 2013, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> 1. Since the kernel packages have different names they are not upgrades
> in the sense of the package manager (like installing package foo version
> 1.2.3 to upgrade from foo version 0.1.2 is).
>
> If you want/need this to be handled by the package manager have a look
> at the linux-image-<flavour> packages.
>
> 2. The method of installing is irrelevant, the kernel will not be used
> until you reboot anyway ;)

Although I have installed the 3.9 kernel and it is present in
/boot/grub/menu.lst, it never appears in the menu when I boot. Repeated
runs of update-grub don't fix this. I reverted to grub-legacy because of
configuration problems with grub2 but that didn't allow the new kernel
to appear either.

grub2 of course ignores menu.lst, but you say you are using legacy grub.

I have been considering going back to legacy grub, since chaining and multibooting in general was easier back then. But it was almost ten years ago that I was mixing BSDs and Linuxes and solaris (6 OS mulitboot, at one point) on the one box. I think legacy was no longer doing that nicely when grub2 started being used.

Update-grub with grub2 finds pretty much all my Linux kernels on all my Linux OSses. Finds them, but can't boot them all. I've recently had Mint and Fedora in a spare partition on the first drive, but it would not boot those with any stability. Sometime, I need to find out why.

--
Joel Rees