Re: Holy Gnome3 Invasion, Batman! - Testing Upgrades 06/30/2013

[JFTR, I hit the same issue a while ago in unstable, and it took a while
to clean via aptitude's interactive interface]

On Du, 30 iun 13, 17:49:13, Jape Person wrote:

> So...my problem was that I was just using my package manager improperly.
> (Self-inflicted wounds are always the most irksome, aren't they?) The aptitude
> default setting of installing recommends probably works okay for Gnome and KDE,
> but perhaps a little less so for Xfce or the even more minimalist DEs.

I don't think it's a matter of DE, but what you are using the system
for, available resources and admin knowledge.

If the point of the installation is to be, let's say, multifunctional,
then installing Recommends (except maybe specific packages) is useful.

If your system is designed for quite specific needs or even has to run
with limited resources (e.g. a Raspberry Pi class machine), then turning
Recommends off and installing them only as needed is probably more
practical.

Beware though that, as with every non-default setting, you may be using
your system in a way that is not as thoroughly tested or supported as
the default setting. And don't even bother to report bugs about missing
functionality before checking the Recommends.

Kind regards,
Andrei