Re: Switching to 64 bit

On 06/28/2013 04:13 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 28/06/13 03:49 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 06/27/2013 10:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 6/27/2013 7:11 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
I am running 32 bit Sid and am thinking about a new computer which
has a 64 bit Intel CPU. How much of a hassle will it be switching
my installation over ? I know there are some problems with Flash but
what about the kernel and so forth- I am not a newby but this is the
first time I've considered a a major change.

You don't have to change anything. 32 bit Sid will run just fine on an
x86-64 CPU. Switching to 64 bit software is a choice, not a requirement.

Well , that was quite the debate :)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - for now I will run regular
32-bit Sid..realizing I am wasting the opportunity to utilize
more memory and perhaps faster operations.

Of course, if you just wanted to plug the old drive into the new
machine, you don't need to do anything. However, that would leave you
with an old computer without a drive, which isn't much good unless you
wanted to run it as a terminal booting off your new machine.

   Initially that is exactly what I plan to do - the old machine will go
to our grandkids with a new HD ( I have several lying around ) for their net surfing and email. Added bonus from the whole situation.

Thanks again

--
Cheers
Frank