Re: Switching to 64 bit

Dňa 28.06.2013 21:49 Frank McCormick  wrote / napísal(a):
> On 06/27/2013 10:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 6/27/2013 7:11 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> I am running 32 bit Sid and am thinking about a new computer which
>>> has a 64 bit Intel CPU. How much of a hassle will it be switching
>>> my installation over ? I know there are some problems with Flash but
>>> what about the kernel and so forth- I am not a newby but this is the
>>> first time I've considered a a major change.
>>
>> You don't have to change anything.  32 bit Sid will run just fine on an
>> x86-64 CPU.  Switching to 64 bit software is a choice, not a requirement.
>>

>    Well , that was quite the debate :)
>
>    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - for now I will run regular
> 32-bit Sid..realizing I am wasting the opportunity to utilize
> more memory and perhaps faster operations.
>
> Later I will re-install ( I am a little worried about the convoluted
> magical tricks which have to be performed to switch-over the system to
> 64 bit)...but I will preserve /home and perhaps one other directory.

Some years ago (before lenny was released), when i buy my first amd64
machine i was the same questions. I don't worried about memory and disk
usage, but about apps availability (the price/1 MB of disk and memory
space is really low).

But i decide to waste some time and first i install the i386 system and
did some measuring. Some time latter (one day) i reinstall from start,
but with the amd64 system – both the same Debian, the same DE, etc.

The amd64 system was noticeable smaller load and CPU usage values. After
this, i leaved the amd64 system installed. Yes, i was some problems,
mostly caused by the unavailable amd64 version of software in these
days, but today it is not true anymore (Opera, Flash, Java, etc).

I have another computer from this time, but this one is still used by my
daughter without reinstall, only testing updates :-)

I don't know, what you have in your $HOME, but i simple copied whole my
$HOME from old i386 system - scripts was worked and data was accessible
(at least i don't remember any problems).

The amd64 is architecture, where the word is going now, installing new
i386 machine is contra productive...

regards

--
Slavko