Packaging tutorial

Hi all,
I don't know whether it is appropriate to write to this mailing list on
this matter. I'm rather new to Debian and I would like to learn more
about packaging and to try to do some packaging for myself. I read
appropriate wiki pages, and I have to note that they are not oriented
towards total beginners in packaging and it seems to me that they are
very detailed and are great for reference for those people who already
have some experience. So my questions are:
1. What do I need to know to learn debian packaging
2. What mandatory steps are there to build package properly
3. Are there any known resources on the internet that give step-by-step
examples of package building with detailed explanation of all the steps?

Thanks in advance and sorry if posted to wrong mailing list.

Best regards,
Vadim Kolchev