Re: Need help undeleting a Big gz compressed tar ball

To Ro wrote at 2013-06-12 14:44 -0500:
> Where: External SeaGate Drive of 1 TB
> I had a Big.tar.gz file (about 400gb) with all the contents of my home
> directory, in a maze of directories and subdirectories.
> After extracting a directory with all its contents from Big.tar.gz to my
> hard drive, I decided to delete that particular directory. My mistake was
> to use archive manager from gnome 3 (debian wheezy), insted of using the
> command line. A wrong click started the deletion of the whole Big.tar.gz
> After a few hours, my Big.tar.gz was gone. I tried testdisk, but has not
> been very succesful. I was able to see and copy to another disk about 18
> files of different sizes, from 6 gb to 70 gb, with names such as inode_xxxxx
> Running the command "file inode_xxxxx" yields not much, it says data file.
> The process of copying by testdisk had to be halted because the target disk
> was full, and testdisk hung for several hours (night time) before I stopped
> the whole thing.

Make sure you do *not* have the NTFS filesystem mounted as
read-write.  Use `mount -o remount,ro /dev/sdx` with the appropriate
device file to mount read-only.

If you do not have a target disk that is large enough, you need to get
one.  Go with maybe 2 TB so that you have room to store the 400 GB
archive, plus extract it.  If you will be using this with Linux only,
do not use NTFS.

If you have not made *any* writes to the filesystem after the delete,
then the data *should* be there.  Try tools like scalpel,
scrounge-ntfs, and testdisk (now that you have adequate target disk
space).