No.cursor on the Gnome Terminal. in Wheezy

Just two days ago (10th June 2013)I changed from the amd64 version to the
486 version mainly because the acrobat reader is not functional
in the 64 but version.  But now I find that the gnome terminal does
not function: the background is dark and perhaps the cursor is also dark, but I don't know as yet how to change the colors The x-terminal is functioning  OK and everything else is OK.Has anyone come across this behaviour? I'd be interested in someone telling me how
to debug this.

Thanks

Sebastian Canagaratna