Re: Alsa sound errors

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 07:24:16 -0700
Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/2013 11:04 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> > 2013/6/5 Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com
> > <mailto:marcnshap@gmail.com>>
> >
> >     There are three people with logins to my desktop box -- myself,
> > my wife and my daughter.  My daughter plays Flash games with sound
> >     all the time and has no problems.  I run YouTube videos and
> >     otherwise use sound with no problems.  My wife gets no sound
> >     whatsoever.  We used to have a problem with the sound being
> >     grabbed by something and then I would need to kill things
> >     manually, but I eliminated all KDE apps and that problem went
> >     away.  I think that was back when I was still running Etch,
> >     anyway.  When I need to verify that sound is working and not
> >     locked up, I just use 'play' with a .wav file.  My wife was just
> >     playing a video and getting no sound, so, under my login I ran:
> >
> >     play /home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav
> >
> >     /home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav:
> >
> >      File Size: 14.8k     Bit Rate: 13.1k
> >       Encoding: GSM
> >       Channels: 1 @ 16-bit
> >     Samplerate: 8000Hz
> >     Replaygain: off
> >       Duration: 00:00:09.04
> >
> >     In:100%  00:00:09.04 [00:00:00.00] Out:434k  [      |      ]
> > Clip:0 Done.
> >
> >     and, as you can see, it worked just fine.
> >
> >     So I swiched over to my wife's login and did the same thing:
> >
> >      play /home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav
> >     ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:985:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to create IPC
> >     semaphore
> >     play FAIL formats: can't open output file `default':
> > snd_pcm_open error: Permission denied
> >
> >     As you can see, it failed.  Can anyone tell me just what is
> >     failing and how to correct it.  My first thought was that it
> > was a permissions problem and perhaps she needed to be added to the
> >     'audio' group, or some such, as she is only in her own group.
> > But then I checked my daughter's account.  She is also only in her
> > own group; not in 'audio' or anything else.  So that ruled out that
> >     solution.  The error says 'Permission denied" however, so it is
> >     some kind of permissions problem, I just don't know what.
> >
> >     Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >     Marc
> >

> > You should use
> >  ipc_key_add_uid TRUE
> >
> > in your .asoundrc when defining dmix.
> >
> > Details are in
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html
> >
> > Regards
> > /r
> Is that a user lever file?  I do not find that config file anywhere
> on my box.
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

Based on what R stated in reply-to Andrei, you need to try and reboot
your machine and log onto your wife's account. If the sound plays fine
then the issue is the one he described.

The .asoundrc file should be in the home directory of each user as
you're using ALSA to play sound. I've got PulseAudio on my system, so
can't check this for you.

K.