Re: Alsa sound errors

On 06/04/2013 11:04 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
2013/6/5 Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com>
There are three people with logins to my desktop box -- myself, my wife and my daughter.  My daughter plays Flash games with sound all the time and has no problems.  I run YouTube videos and otherwise use sound with no problems.  My wife gets no sound whatsoever.  We used to have a problem with the sound being grabbed by something and then I would need to kill things manually, but I eliminated all KDE apps and that problem went away.  I think that was back when I was still running Etch, anyway.  When I need to verify that sound is working and not locked up, I just use 'play' with a .wav file.  My wife was just playing a video and getting no sound, so, under my login I ran:

play /home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav

/home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav:

 File Size: 14.8k     Bit Rate: 13.1k
  Encoding: GSM
  Channels: 1 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 8000Hz
Replaygain: off
  Duration: 00:00:09.04

In:100%  00:00:09.04 [00:00:00.00] Out:434k  [      |      ] Clip:0
Done.

and, as you can see, it worked just fine.

So I swiched over to my wife's login and did the same thing:

 play /home/marc/public_html/footpain/media/montoya.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:985:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to create IPC semaphore
play FAIL formats: can't open output file `default': snd_pcm_open error: Permission denied

As you can see, it failed.  Can anyone tell me just what is failing and how to correct it.  My first thought was that it was a permissions problem and perhaps she needed to be added to the 'audio' group, or some such, as she is only in her own group.  But then I checked my daughter's account.  She is also only in her own group; not in 'audio' or anything else.  So that ruled out that solution.  The error says 'Permission denied" however, so it is some kind of permissions problem, I just don't know what.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marc

You should use
 ipc_key_add_uid TRUE

in your .asoundrc when defining dmix.

Regards
/r
Is that a user lever file?  I do not find that config file anywhere on my box.

Marc