Need help with netinst of wheezy on pentium 4 machine

I purchased some time ago a refurb Dell GX620. I have received conflicting advice on this list about whether I should use amd64 or i386 CDs to install Wheezy, but amd64 CDs seem to get further into the install so what I want help with now is all about amd64 type CDs.

I set out to install using LVM and selected a single large logical partition. The disk has a capacity of 160GB. The install failed because, the error message said the requested architecture was not available on the mirror that I had chosen. But it did not say what architecture it thought I had chosen. And the 'mirror' that I was invoking is my local installation of approx on a wheezy on a different local computer. I look into /var/cache on that computer and both amd64 and i386 are present in the approx cache. This morning I resume work and the first thing I want to do is try again, because I do make mistakes. But this morning I cannot repartition the disk using the partitioning system on the CD that was burnt from a jigdo iso image on May 31. It would not delete/remove/whatever the LVM and would not recognize it as a usable /root. So, I plugged in a external USB hard drive and tried to install on it. It refused to write on either drive until I did something with the left over logical volume, mentioning it by name. As I write this email I am doing a partition erase on the logical volume. I tried selecting 'do not use this device' , which to me should have been sufficient, but it wasn't. Erase is going slowly. At the rate the patience bar is growing, it should be finished in another 12 hrs or so.

Is there a better way? What should I try if it still claims my architecture is not available on my mirror? etc.
Ideas?

Paul