Re: WDIDLE.EXE use on WD10EZRX disk

On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:34:58 -0700
Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have found multiple warnings about Linux and the short head parking
> time of the WD Green drives. I have seen multiple instances of the use
> of the wdidle.exe package to reset this to say 30 seconds. But Western
> Digital emphatically states that that utility in only for about 3
> "not-WD10EZRX" drives. Is this utility safe to use on the drive in
> question or not?

 Hi.

It's really simple - do you have the source code of this wdidle.exe
utility? What about running this wdidle.exe on Linux?
If both are 'yes', well, good for you.
If both are 'no'  - for all you know, it WILL brick your harddrive,
steal all food from your fridge, and will do unspeakable things to
kittens.

Never use this thing.

Instead, go to http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/, and get yourself an
excellent idle3-tools, which is the free software, and actually works.
I've used it myself to disable this questionable head parking on WDC
WD7500AARS-00Y5B1 with success.

Reco.