Installation of tdsodbc triggers removal of KDE due to dependency on libiodbc2

Hi,

I upgraded my Squeeze VM setup to Wheezy and found a problem that I can't seem
to solve. I use ODBC (tdsodbc) but when dist-upgrading, I had some problems
with odbcinst1debian2. I don't recall the exact error message as I solved
the problem by removing tdsodbc after which I upgraded my system.
The system works fine and dpkg --audit didn't show any problems.
Furthermore, I develop in Kate (yes I know, I use vim for config editing but
not for programming :))

When I wanted to install tdsodbc again, apt wants to get rid of Kate and KDE.
After closer inspection, it seems that tdsodbc conflicts with libiodbc2.
But soprano-daemon depends on libiodbc2, and kde depends on soprano.

How do I solve this? I can't install tdsodbc to get my work done.
Both my webservers have tdsodbc installed but there I haven't gotten a
conflict as there is no graphical environment installed.

Apparently there a bugs filled for this (#645726, #639817, #703047, #639300),
but I can't seem to detect what the solution is.
Steve Langasek explains the problem in one of the bug reports:
"The lack of 100% compatibility between iODBC and unixODBC is another issue;
it's one that could be solved if there were a good reason to keep two ODBC
driver managers in the archive, but there isn't.  Thus we should just get
rid of libiodbc; but this is currently blocked on soprano's lack of
compatibility with unixodbc"

libiodbc might get dropped in the future. There are 2 solutions I can think
of although it has been a long time since I have done something similar and
thus need a refresher :)

1. Download the source package of soprano-daemon to rebuild it to not depend
on iodbc.
2. Extract the soprano-daemon deb and change the dependency on iodbc, then
rebuild the package and install it.

I'm not sure one of these will work or even if they are working solutions.
The first seems difficult as the code of soprano-daemon might not be coded
in a way to work with anything other than iodbc. 2nd solution won't work if
soprano is indeed only set to work with iodbc, and the interfaces of iodbc
and unixODBC differ enough.

Any advice would be great, as I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Benedict

- --
Benedict Verheyen                       Debian, Python and Django user
GnuPG Public Key 0x712CBB8D