fscked usb

Its become apparent today that all of my usb system is fscked! in that i have to unplug and replug in the usb keyboard and mouse at bootup in lightdm greeter before they can be used. And then I have to do the same with 3 external hard drives. I also have a brand new printer that cannot be seen by 'lsusb', so I reckon that its fscked, but how do I correct it please?

This question has some urgency behind it as i only have till the 2nd June before the window closes for me returning the printer for a refund.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/index.html
Debian Wheezy,  Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.0.3.3,