Re: apache permission users

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 01:21:12PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I installed apache2 web server on debian.
>
> I need use this web server to host several domains (friends's domains)
>
> I'm not sure how configure permission for each users.
>
> ie:
>
> user1 = mywebserver1 (has real domain)
> user2 = mywebserver2 (has real domain)
> user3 = mywebserver3 (has real domain)
> user4 = mywebserver4 (has real domain)
>
> now:
>
> mkdir -p /var/www/{mywebserver1,mywebserver2,mywebserver3,mywebserver4,}
>
> is it a good idea set permission like:
>
> chown mywebserver1:mywebserver1 /var/www/mywebserver1
>
> and
>
> chmod 755 /var/www/mywebserver1?
>
> and same for other dirs?
>
> or is there a howto to setting up this configuration?
>
> thanks!

For stuff like this, where the users are largely noobs, anyway,
I've been making them a webroot on their /home.
i.e., /home/user/www/
then just make a vhost to point their domain to that dir.
For most of my users, I end up install wordpress for them (a few want
drupal or joomla), and just let them own the whole webroot, and add the
server (www-data) to their group, 775 stuff.
I don't know if it's the best practice, but it seems to be working.
It keeps the users "jailed" to their /home, I can assign them disk space
quotas, and their CMS or platforms are working.
Most of these guys are only managing their sites via the admin panels
for their chosen CMS, anyway, aren't using ssh, barely know what ftp is.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
art, music, software by me, tony