Re: Odd Network Problem

This could still be a network config issue. An easy way around might
be to connect (wired) both, the print server and the new laptop, to your
router (assuming that the router also acts as the dhcp server, and that both
clients are configured to get their ip address through dhcp). In the
router's  log you can then see the connected devices and their
respective IP addresses. Can you connect from laptop to print server now?

Klaus

I don't think that can work. The print-server doesn't have the ability to connect it to the router through a wired port, it just has the wireless. The ethernet ports are only used to bridge other non-wireless equipment through the printer-server to whatever wireless network the printer-server is configured to use. The rub is the only way to configure what wireless network the print-server uses is to put a computer on one of those ethernet ports, hold the reset button on the print-server resetting it to factory defaults, then configure the wireless via a web-page generated by the print-server.

What seems weird to me, is using ifconfig command to set an IP worked on the squeeze laptop, but didn't on the wheezy laptop. Both systems seem to take the ip and the output of running ifconfig -a looked the same on both. It was just that on one box I could connect to the print-servers webpage and the other I couldn't. On both I took care to disconnect from all other networks, so I wasn't a routing issue.