Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, Claudius!

Welcome :)

> 19.05.2013 14:41, Claudius Hubig:
> > You are now supposed to compare the Debian package version reported
> > by uname (3.2.41-2 in the example above) against the one currently
> > installed (e.g. using dpkg -l).
>
> OK, that is a way. To me, this seems to be a very awkward way, though.

It doesn’t break if you move files around, and at least to me
comparing version numbers is per se more reasonable than comparing
build dates, but YMMV, of course.

> > /proc/version still reports the build
> > time for me, though.
>
> Alas, for me it doesn't.

Strange. I am running a self-compiled 3.7 as follows:

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.7.1.a2017.3 (root@ares) (gcc version 4.7.2 (Debian 4.7.2-4) ) #3 SMP Sun Jan 13 16:24:52 GMT 2013

Maybe there is an option somewhere in the kernel compile-time
configuration?

> I could well live with it if the oh-so-important source package version
> was *added* to uname's output instead of being put in the place of the
> info I really *do* care for. But as it is, someone has made a change
> that gains me nothing but makes my life a tiny bit harder.

If I recall correctly, there is some length-limit imposed on this
string (for whatever reason), so merely adding it was not an option.

Best,

Claudius
--
Please don’t CC me.