Re: Why wheezy/Jessie kernel does not kill the app. that takes too much RAM ?

On Sat, 18 May 2013 14:11:38 +0700
Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good time of the day.
>

> I have only 2 GB of RAM and a RAM-hungry app.s like chromium (just ~30
> tabs) and game "BosWars" that do not run together unless hang my machine
> completely.
>
> The question is, Why the wheezy/Jessie kernel does not kill the app.
> that takes too much RAM instead of letting the app.s to hang the OS
> almost completely? -- For though after several minutes i can launch
> kill  command i yet can not run it: i get allocation error. Nothing
> remains but to reboot w/ reset button.

Hi.

Please execute:

man 5 limits.conf

Read it very carefully, especially the parts mentioning 'as' and 'stack'.

Next, observe contents of your local /etc/security/limits.conf.

The answer to your question is 'wheezy/Jessie kernel does not kill the second
app because it is you who didn't told it to'.

That, and those Google guys and gals who write Chromium thought that it is a
good idea to disable Out-Of-Memory-Killer kernel facility for their browser.
You can clearly see the results of such design by yourself.

So,
1) Modify /etc/security/limits.conf . Don't forget to relogin.
2) Add more swap.
3) Possibly switch to less memory-hungry browser.

Sincerely yours, Reco.