Why wheezy/Jessie kernel does not kill the app. that takes too much RAM ?

Good time of the day.

I have only 2 GB of RAM and a RAM-hungry app.s like chromium (just ~30
tabs) and game "BosWars" that do not run together unless hang my machine
completely.

The question is, Why the wheezy/Jessie kernel does not kill the app.
that takes too much RAM instead of letting the app.s to hang the OS
almost completely? -- For though after several minutes i can launch
kill  command i yet can not run it: i get allocation error. Nothing
remains but to reboot w/ reset button.

So?

Thanks for Your time.

Sthu.