how to boot a system with a broken but non-essential LVM VG

One of the disks that was in an LVM Volume Group died, as a result of which LVM reports an error when the system starts. I believe because of the errors from lvm the boot sequence stops. After several minutes it times out. At that point a shell prompt appears. The missing physical disk is no longer essential for the system to boot, and the damaged VG still has some good volumes in it, so I do
vgchange -ay
which reports errors but activates what it can
and
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/myVG/myCryptRoot CryptRoot
when I exit the shell the system boot continues successfully. I'm using grub2 on amd64 and a standard initramfs for wheezy. Note that myVG is not the damaged volume group.

Is there some way I can achieve the same effect without manual intervention (except for the crypto pass-phrase) and without the wait for timeout?

Ross Boylan