Re: grub confusion

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 12:12 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i had been using a 500GB disk with two kernels for boot up in two
> different environment however last nigh i plug the harddrive in to new
> server and deleted all the partition and installed fresh Debian 6.0.7
> on to it.
>
> when system is restarted after installation i observe that i could see
> the same grub menu means deleting partition did not effect the grub
> menu so my question is if i want to install a fresh copy of debian how
> can i reset grup to its default display? or how can i delete the grub
> settings for a fresh copy of grub?

Assumed you're using a system with MBR, then GRUB is installed within
the first 512 bytes of the HDD, but grub.cfg (GRUB 2) and menu.lst (GRUB
legacy), IOW the file that includes the menu entries, is located within
a Linux install in /boot/grub.

If you deleted the partitions, then you lost grub.cfg, resp. menu.lst
and it's impossible that you get back your old menu.

You must have done something wrong!

However you can "reset" the menu by running

# mv /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak
# mv /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bak

We need more information to troubleshoot what's going wrong.

What did you exactly do?

Regards,
Ralf