grub confusion

i had been using a 500GB disk with two kernels for boot up in two different environment however last nigh i plug the harddrive in to new server and deleted all the partition and installed fresh Debian 6.0.7 on to it.
when system is restarted after installation i observe that i could see the same grub menu means deleting partition did not effect the grub menu so my question is if i want to install a fresh copy of debian how can i reset grup to its default display? or how can i delete the grub settings for a fresh copy of grub?

i even run this command "grub-install /dev/sda" it didn't help though.

secondly, for RAID1 purpose i have plugged another drive and i want to copy same partition table from "sda" to "sdb"

i was previously using sfdisk to copy the partition however is saw another easy method of copying partition table which is "cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb" so my question is is there any difference in both command set. does it make any difference if i use cp rather sfdisk.

Thanks you.