Should I trust SMART monitoring tools or the Linux kernel drivers?

~
 I have a Maxtor OneTouch 2HAS5DYX drive that intermittently gives me
problems. Like when I make my box go into "suspend" mode for a while,
it doesn't mount itself when I reawaken it and I have to unmount and
remount it manually
~
 when the box is under heavy load (e.g., heat fan is revving). The
mini drive has the tendency to shutdown by itself with error messages:
~
[35223.216654] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/8, error -110
[35226.942174] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/8, error -71
~
 I have read it happens as a protective measure when its interfacing
circuitry notices that the USB cable does not provide enough power
~
 Linux kernel and SMART report logs:
~
 http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/?attachment_id=652
~
 are not clear to me. The Linux kernel:
~
# uname -a
Linux Microknoppix 3.3.7 #38 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 22 06:21:01 CEST 2012
i686 GNU/Linux
~
 seems to be handling the disk just fine
~
 It is time to discard that drive? Or, can I still use it with extra
case and occasionally?
~
 thanks,
 lbrtchx