Re: writing pseudo-random data to disks

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 01:12:19PM +1000, yudi v wrote:
>    I am using the below command/s to write to 3TB hitachi deskstar 7200RPM
>    disks.
>
>    dcfldd if=/dev/urandom status=off | PV -s 3000G | dcfldd of=/dev/sda
>    of=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb status=off bs=4096
>
>    on the HP microserver nl40 with SATA 3Gbps connection, the throughput was
>    3-4MB/s, around 10.5 days.
>    Where as on my desktop with i5 CPU and 6Gbps connection, the throughput is
>    13-14MB/s, around 61 hours.
>
>    My question is: where is the bottleneck on the HP for such low throughput?

You could check to see if it's the RNG by doing

  dcfldd if=/dev/urandom status=off | pv -s 3000G | dcfldd of=/dev/null \
  status=off bs=4096

And you could check it's the disk by doing similar but reading from
/dev/zero.

Also, I don't know if it's a typo here, but do you realise you've
specified /dev/sda twice in your output command? That could be an issue.

The other alternative is to use a bigger block size. The suggestion
here[1] is to set bs equal to your hard drive's buffer size.

[1] http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11585