Re: New distro

On 08/05/13 22:33, Bob Proulx wrote:
Valaki Valahol wrote:
Also where can I find the older distros, eg. 6.0.7 that I can download all
the DVD IDO images ?

Older images are available.  Now that Wheezy 7.0 has released the
previous Squeeze 6.0 is now "older".  These are available in archive
section.  Here is a reference:

   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/

Older full DVD isos are here (at least for now):

   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/6.0.7/amd64/iso-dvd/

But if you follow my directions in the previous message for jigdo then
you can do the same thing again for these DVD images.

   # apt-get install jigdo-file

   $ mkdir jigdo-stuff
   $ cd jigdo-stuff
   $ jigdo-lite --noask http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/6.0.7/amd64/jigdo-dvd/debian-6.0.7-amd64-DVD-1.jigdo

   $ ls -ldog debian-6.0.7-amd64-DVD-1.iso
   -rw-rw-r-- 1 4635574272 May  8 15:30 debian-6.0.7-amd64-DVD-1.iso

I've used jigdo in the past, when I've wanted install DVD or CD images, but now use the netinstalls.

Jigdo still has it's place though, and is a very good tool. I did find some of the command line options confusing at first (this was a few years back).

I wonder if it might be worth making an even simpler front-end for just downloading (and burning) Debian DVDs?

The command could be something like:

jigdvd --rel=6.0.7 --arch=amd64 --dvd=1 /dev/dvd

where --rel= (or -r) defaults to latest, --arch= (or -a ) defaults to current arch and --dvd= (or -d) defaults to 1. There could be a --noburn option to create the .iso without burning, and possibly a menu of available images if noting is specified on the command line.

Just pondering out loud here, that's all.

--
Dom