Video and sound in Wheezy: Howto?

I installed Wheezy on a HP computer which had been running Squeeze about a week or two ago. I've done installs of Debian many times before on other hardware, and earlier versions of Debian. This install went very smoothly, but ... I just noticed today that I can't play video clips in Iceweasel, no moving picture and no sound. And in Google Chrome, I can get the moving picture, but no sound. When it was running Squeeze, video clips were working fine, but I recall there was lots of magic in getting Squeeze video to work long ago.

This time I was hoping for a 'automagic' install, and until today when I discovered the video problem it had been fully automagic. What should I look for? Perhaps a package dependency is missing. Or what? What is the names of the video/sound packages that are used with Xfce4? (Come to think of it, I was running Gnome2 under Squeeze (and I don't remember tha package names from then)) As I remember, there were many competing video/sound packages with not much to distinguish them except that some worked for some people and others worked for other people. What is the situation now?

TIA