Re: network problems

Not a solution, but might I also suggest installing/running apt-listbugs? It will go through the BTS during an upgrade. From the man page:

       apt-listbugs  is  a tool which retrieves bug reports from the Debian Bug
       Tracking System and lists them. In particular,  it  is  intended  to  be
       invoked  before  each upgrade by apt, or other similar package managers,
       in order to check whether the upgrade/installation is safe.

It's a nice way to thumbnail what might get broken in the upgrade, and you can hold packages and restart the upgrade.

--b