Re: network problems

On 2013-05-08 19:38 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > Testing has already started to get propagation of new packages from
>> > Sid.  All of the packages blocked due to the freeze were unblocked.
>> > But also all of the new packages going into Sid will be there ten days
>> > and if no one finds any reason to stop it then they will flow into
>> > Testing.  So in about ten days Testing will get a large impulse spike
>> > of new packages.
>>
>> No, it won't because a new eglibc version was uploaded to sid, and it
>> seems all newly built packages are going to depend on it.  And since
>> eglibc does not even build on kfreebsd, it's going to be a while before
>> it will go into testing.
>
> Good to know about the eglibc transition.
>
> You say "it".  Is that referring to all of the newly uploaded
> packages?  I am uncertain what you are referring to here.  I think
> "it" referred to too many different things all at once. :-)  I think
> you might mean that it is eglibc and eglibc won't move to Testing
> until it is debugged on kfreebsd.  And all new uploads will be blocked
> behind eglibc.

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry for being unclear.

> So when the eglibc transition completes then at that time there will
> be an even larger impulse spike in Testing when those packages are
> finally allowed to transition to Testing.
>
> In which case Testing would be a reasonably good place to be *until*
> the day before the new eglibc transitions to it.  And then people
> might want to avoid testing through the impulse spike of the packages
> waiting behind it moving into Testing.  Then after that time it would
> return to being quite okay again.

Yes, unless you use multiarch.  There is still the unresolved issue that
binNMUs break co-installability.  Packages which have been binNMU'ed on
one architecture but not on another are not coinstallable at all, and
even those where the version is the same,
/usr/share/doc/$package/changelog.Debian.gz differs across
architectures, making it necessary to use dpkg's --force-overwrite
option.

I don't expect this to be fixed anytime soon, so if you are on amd64 and
want to run wine, skype or other 32-bit software, you had better stay on
Wheezy.

Cheers,
       Sven