Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On 5/6/2013 2:21, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 05 mai 13, 19:30:00, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>
>> All that's required now is to cease using 'dist-upgrade' for
>> upgrading. Dist-upgrade was recommended in the user install
>> manual while Wheezy was still Testing. Now, that it's Stable,
>> 'upgrade' is the recommended method.
>
> Could you please provide a reference for that? The collective
> wisdom on this list recommends to always use 'upgrade' and
> 'dist-upgrade' only if really required (e.g. packages not
> upgraded).
>
> It's rare, but it may happen that 'dist-upgrade' is needed also on
>  stable.
>
> Kind regards, Andrei

Hmm, I'm following this -
http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
- as an upgrade guide.

It suggests `apt-get upgrade` first (after changes your sources of
course).

"In some cases, doing the full upgrade (as described below) directly
might remove large numbers of packages that you will want to keep. We
therefore recommend a two-part upgrade process: first a minimal
upgrade to overcome these conflicts, then a full upgrade as described
in Section 4.4.5, “Upgrading the system”. "

Then it tells you to complete the main part of the upgrade with
`apt-get dist-upgrade`

"This will perform a complete upgrade of the system, installing the
newest available versions of all packages, and resolving all possible
dependency changes between packages in different releases. If
necessary, it will install some new packages (usually new library
versions, or renamed packages), and remove any conflicting obsoleted
packages."

P.S - for people using aptitude -"The recommended way to upgrade from
previous Debian releases is to use the package management tool
apt-get. In previous releases, aptitude was recommended for this
purpose, but recent versions of apt-get provide equivalent
functionality and also have shown to more consistently give the
desired upgrade results."
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post - http://goo.gl/YrmAb