Re: wake on lan: power on, no boot

On Apr 18, 2013 21:28, "Soare Catalin" <lolinux.soare@gmail.com> wrote:

On Apr 18, 2013 10:14 AM, "Freddie" <freddie_signup@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Debian users,

I asked this question to the debian-laptop list a few weeks ago but there's been no solution found. As I'm not convinced my issues are laptop specific I thought I'd open it up to the wider group.

I'm wanting to wake my philips freeline X10 laptop (circa 2004) using wol.

I've enabled power on from PCI in the bios, and I've used ethtool and /etc/network/interfaces to ensure that wake on magic
packet is enabled for eth0 on every boot. I can confirm this with
# ethtool eth0
(the laptop is connect to the router by an ethernet cable).

After powering off the laptop if I send a magic packet using
# wakeonlan -i <ip address> <mac address>
The laptop powers on (that is, the power led turns on and the DVD drive spins up a couple of times) but nothing boots. I'm
left with a blank screen - there're no POST or BIOS screens.

It might also be relevant that a usb peripheral (a sound card, in this case) doesn't power on even though it would normally power on at around the same time as the DVD drive spinning up during a normal (non-wol) boot.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie

Hi Freddie

Sorry for the late reply! I'm not subscribed to debian-user and so didn't see this email until now. I really should remember to check the list after I post. Whoops!

I can't say I have done what you are trying to do, I have only done it with desktops. Anyway, to me, how you describe it, your laptop doesn't fully start/boot. I don't want to offend you (in case you have checked already) but I'd check the manufacturer's website for this symptom, and eventually check for (BIOS) firmware upgrades and their changelogs.

I think you're correct - the laptop doesn't seem to start properly. You don't offend at all, but I had looked for a newer BIOS than the one I have. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything for this laptop - it is gettin on a bit now!

Thanks for you suggestion. I'll keep looking for a BIOS update.

Any other ideas?

Good luck!

--
Sent from my Brick (TM)