Re: Introductory reading on firewall/iptables/etc for new Debian user?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:28:17AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I will be using email, Usenet, browser and occasionally file
> downloading.
> Nothing on my system should look/act like a server.
> I want all programs to access the internet after explicitly asking
> for permission.
> The response to the request may be:
>    No
>    Always YES
>    Ask each occurrence

Are you sure you are "looking" at this in the right way? e.g. :
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=542341

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/30583/why-do-we-need-a-firewall-if-no-programs-are-running-on-your-ports
http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f139/is-a-firewall-necessary-408049.html
http://www.firewallinformation.com/
http://www.ask.com/question/why-is-a-firewall-necessary
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_firewall_and_why_is_it_necessary
http://computertutorflorida.com/2011/09/is-a-firewall-necessary/
http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/security/9806-firewall-not-needed.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/26736/is-a-firewall-really-necessary-these-days

You may want to look at shorewall, if you decide you need one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorewall
http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_features.htm
http://www.shorewall.net/GettingStarted.html
http://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/shorewall
http://www.linux.org/article/view/shorewall-your-friendly-firewall-part-1-installation-and-basic-configuration-

When I had shorewall running the console was flooded with messages about
access attempts.

root@tal:~# less /etc/sysctl.conf
# Uncomment the following to stop low-level messages on console
#kernel.printk = 3 4 1 3

oppressing." --- Malcolm X