Re: a problem with CUPS

On 04/23/2013 10:27 AM, Paul Condon wrote:
> I have a rather complicated CUPS printing setup, which works, mostly,
> but not entirely:
>
> My printer is an old HP 5MP, laser printer, which I purchased before HP
> invented the word "laserjet" because I was committed to Macintosh back
> then and the HP 5MP offered both parallel port and Apple Talk interfaces.
>
> My current working desktop computer has neither of these. It is too new.
> And I don't think I have any Apple Talk cables any more. But I do have
> another, much older computer that does have a parallel port and an
> ethernet interface card. When I got my 'new' computer (one without
> parallel port) , I made the older computer into a 'print server',
> serving 'printing' over my LAN. It has worked well, except for times
> when new print software was released and I had to configure the CUPS
> soft ware. I have great difficulty comprehending CUPS.
>
> My problem is that CUPS software does not handle .pdf files easily. If I
> try to print file, zyx.pdf, by typing "lpr zyx.pdf" , the command is
> accepted, the light
> flashes on the printer and after a while a piece of paper comes out of
> the printer ... but  it is -blank-. Evince also 'prints' only blank
> pages.  Pages from iceweasel, and emacs (including the fancy Postscript
> format) are printed correctly. But if I save the page to a file and then
> try to print the file, something prevents the black stuff from sticking
> to the print drum. Where is that something?
>
> Ideas?
> TIA
> --
> Paul

Paul,

You may want to check CUPS error log at /var/log/cups/ on your print
server for any possible clues regarding PDF non-printing. Note the job
number for your PDF print job (lpq or lpstat on print server) and then
look for the entries with the same Job ID in CUPS error log.

I often see print errors for PDF files with partially embedded fonts.
Setting Adobe Reader to send all fonts at start cures this, but I'm not
sure if that option is available via lpr or lp.

You can try `lp` instead of `lpr`.

You can also try a different driver/PPD for your HP 5MP. Go to
http://your_print_server:631, Administration, Manage printers, select
printer, Admin., Modify. You might have a choice in between Gutenprint
and Foomatic/Postscript "models".

Sarunas Burdulis
http://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas